Within the practice, Dominic Kramer leads our development in Passivhaus designs. Our aim is to create inspirational and sustainable architecture. At the heart of our designs is commitment to sustainability to create a positive space for the people that use them and to create buildings that respect the environment. In partnership with Warwickshire Rural Housing Association, Morton Wykes Kramer developed Keyte Gardens, the first ground-breaking Passivhaus development in Warwickshire, which was opened by HRH The Princess Royal. Keyte Gardens won the ‘Best Green Scheme UK-Wide’ in the 24housing awards for the 14 affordable homes that were built to the Passivhaus standard.
Passivhaus is the world’s most energy-efficient building standard
Passivhaus is a quality assurance system that attains a set of standards for maximum energy efficiency. Unlike standard buildings. Passivhaus buildings require limited energy for heating and cooling. At the forefront of Passivhaus is attention to detail and precise design and construction to adhere to the exacting standards. The superior standards of Passivhaus buildings which benefits both the user and the environment is achieved through:
- High levels of thermal insulation and air tightness
- Minimum power heat recovery ventilation system
- Minimised energy consumption
- Reduced energy bills
What is Passivhaus?
The extremely low energy bills are not the only benefit of Passivhaus buildings, they are also very comfortable environments.
- Filtered fresh air is provided 24/7 throughout the building, ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Due to the circulation of air at a very low velocity, drafts and fan noise are prevented.
- Windows, doors and all internal surfaces are warm to the touch, including glass.
- High surface temperatures prevent mould, leading to lower maintenance costs and significant health benefits.
- The removal or reduction in the use of radiators and heating appliances facilitates the dree use of space.
- The build quality, air tightness and insulation all provide a very quiet environment and lower maintenance costs.